13 August 2009

Ready for Springtime!

Heavenly views... flying above Mt. Ruapehu! Spring will soon arrive.

"So, what do you do?" asks the interested person.
I get that question a lot. And until recently, I must have often looked like a deer in the headlights as I thought of an answer to give. Not because I don't know the "things" I do, but in terms of defining it in a sentence (which, lets face it, is usually the most people want to hear from us) I was at a loss. But, since a recent missions conference I was a part of, that's changed for me.
"I help international students studying in New Zealand become life-long followers of Jesus!" I now exclaim cheerfully.
The reaction from those who ask... now THEY are like a deer in the headlights, and I am the one behind the wheel (heehee).
But, it's true. That IS what God has led me to do here in New Zealand. Sure, I am working in the National Office of ISMNZ, am a part of the executive management team, and yes I work with staff training and development, Bible college internship curriculum development and teaching, support the National Director, and so on and on and on.
Seeing these students become followers of Christ, become established in His word and His ways and being a part of our returnees' lives as they carry on in faith in their home countries is the adrenaline in my blood stream!
In our world vision course we've been looking a lot at God's mission in the world. I had Yuki read aloud the entire geneology of Noah & his sons as recorded in Genesis 10:1-32. Not an easy ask for a Japanese, English as second language student to read out all those names. However, the reason I did it was to make this point: In that geneology are ALL of our ancestors. Your ancestors, mine... and Noah - well, he's the man that God chose to be the one that all peoples of the earth come from to this very day.
Not only that, but it was God's intention that Noah's descendants continue to be on the move - to "be fruitful and multiply and fill all the earth" (Genesis 9:1). So, what happens when a people group decides to stop moving on? They end up building towers in order to "make a name for ourselves" and "not be scattered over the face of the earth" (Genesis 11:1-7).
If you wonder why the gospel dies after a few generations in one culture... it's because its meant to continue to spread throughout all peoples, not just "my" people. As I studied once again the 'great comission' (which is a Co-Mission because we do it in partnership WITH Jesus) I realised... it's not a noun, it's a verb! Let me explain - it doesn't actually say "Go, make disciples" of all nations. It says "Go disciple all people... ethnos - peoples - everybody." And that's not just Bible teaching. That's healing the sick, casting out demons, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, living for others and laying down your own life for their good and God's glory.
So, my challenge to those who follow Jesus is to get about the business of following Him into His world. He says He'll be with us always, and He says 'follow Me'. He is always on the move. Praise God that when a nation stops looking upward and outward with compassion to the rest of the nations, God Himself brings the nations to us. Through Globalized eduction, He is scooping up a harvest of international students and bringing them from their home countries to us... He's bringing them TO the gospel! So, if you haven't been going to the nations through prayer or supporting missionaries, bring the gospel to an international student in your town! They're there!
And, if you have sensed God's call on your heart to get moving out of your comfort zone but continue to say, "I could never leave my family", then realise the entire earth is filled with family!

Japanese are so inventive, eh? Mana comes up with one way to fight onion tears.

Kiwi's helping me celebrate the 4th of July!
The USA's independence from 'the crown' (that NZ is still a part of)

Did you know that to every other culture - root beer tastes like bad stomach medicine? Mana and Hwang Lin (Malaysia) aren't sure what they think of it.

No comments: